NATURAL GEMSTONES vs Synthetic Gemstones
What Are Synthetic Gemstones?
Last month I mentioned my new heart pendant that features a synthetic ruby. The wonder of natural gems can’t be duplicated, but there’s a lot to be said for the lab grown variety. Here are the facts:
- Synthetic gemstones are not imitations. They are the real thing.
- Gemstones grown in a lab have identical make-up to their natural counterpart.
- Lab grown stones are often identified by their lack of inclusions and impurities.
- Synthetic gemstones are perfect, adding to their beauty, but some think that they are too perfect.
- Growth lines can identify the lab created versions, which can only be seen with a powerful microscope.
- The process of growing gemstones starts with a “seed” from a natural stone.
- Lab-created gemstones are usually much more affordable than a comparable natural stone.
- Natural gemstones are sometimes enhanced with wax or other fillers, which can be damaged by chemicals or ultrasonic cleaners.
- Man-made stones do not tax natural resources or pollute, as much as traditional mining operations do.
The debate between lab created gems or Natural gemstones is ongoing. You can decide for yourself, now that you know the facts.